Wednesday 9 May 2012

From rags to riches

Have you ever thought about pearls?

When I first started going out with the beautiful girl I eventually married - she had just bought herself (luckily) the most magnificent natural pearl ring.

It was probably one of the most exquisite things (except her of course) that I as a young 17 year old had ever seen.

I used to always look at it and touch it (just an excuse really to hold her hand) - it fascinated me - the shape and the extraordinary glisten to it - very eye catching and so so simple in the design.

She still has that ring and every now and again even after 45 years since we met she occasionally wears it - amazing.

I still get a kick out of seeing it and yes I still hold her hand. God is indeed a miraculous God - I love Him so so much.

When I think of a pearl my mind wanders to the parable of Jesus in Matthew 13: 45-46 when a merchant sold all that he had to buy a special pearl of 'great price'.

You know Jesus thinks of us as 'pearls of great price'

If that doesn't stagger you I don't know what will - The Creator of the universe - the all knowing and powerful God - loves me so much that He thinks I am a pearl of great price!

And again just like the poor old oyster or clam or mussel that makes these awesome beauties by coating an irritant inside their shells - so God works in our lives refining, remodelling, changing and enhancing our lives to be more like Him.

We have a long long way to go - but God in His mercy and love is making us fit for His Kingdom bit by bit just like the coating the oyster is applying to that grain of sand.

At the end of the day our 'pearl' will belong to our Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Human love - super romantic and amazing!

Sometimes it is hard to give up on something you love - especially when that impinges on your family or your life in so many different ways ...