Saturday, 25 July 2026

Greg T and Me - Came to blows!

Oh, dear, the memories come back to me.

Greg T and I were in Primary School together and usually in the same class. Things didn't work out like that in year 5. There became two classes in year 5 and onwards. The very next year, he was in year 6 class No. 1, and I was also in year 6 class No. 2. He came in first place in his class after the exams, and believe it or not, I came in the same place, but in my class.

He was not a happy camper! - He thought that he should be number one in the whole of year 6, just like it is these days, not separated by classes. He had it out for me! It really wasn't because I was some sort of bully-boy out to get applause from all and sundry, but he figured he needed to put me in my place so that I wouldn't be a contender in the future.

It all started one lunchtime - Greg had heaps of friends, all very much like him; in fact, he was definitely the leader. Here was my friend John and I sitting under the tree near Gregson Park eating our lunch when along came Greg and his mates - they formed a ring around John and me and kicked John out and left Greg and me inside the ring, and then it started.

I must admit I got the shock of my life. It was the very last thing I expected. I copped a punch on the neck of all places and then a punch on the chest, which threw me to the ground. I kicked out and whacked poor Greg on the ankle, which made him even more furious. He kicked out and smacked me in the back with his foot.

Mr Dart, my teacher, was on playground duty and quickly came over after he heard the yells of everyone passing by. He grabbed us both by the shirt collars and dragged us into the school building, and shoved us into two seats right next to each other and right outside the teachers' lunch room. Greg and I didn't speak. I had a sore neck and back, and Greg had a sore ankle. Oh dear!

We both got "kept-in," which was usual in those days, and a letter was sent home to my parents suggesting they should keep an eye open for any aggressive behaviour on my behalf - I can only assume that Greg T's parents got the same one.

As far as I recall, we had absolutely nothing to do with each other for the rest of 6th form. Greg T went to a different high school from mine, which John and I were really pleased about. 

Unfortunately, we never ended up being friends, but if one of your friends likes you so much that they are moved by your troubles and help you on your behalf, then just how much more does God really love you?

I was reminded of the parable Jesus told his disciples about friends needing things, and this story is recorded in Luke Chapter 11, verses 5 to 8. (New Century version)

Jesus said to his disciples, "Suppose one of you went to your friend's house at midnight and said to him, 'Friend, loan me three loaves of bread. A friend of mine has come into town to visit me, but I have nothing for him to eat.' Your friend inside the house answers. 'Don't bother me! The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I cannot get up and give you anything.' I tell you, if friendship is not enough to make him get up to give you the bread, your boldness will make him get up and give you whatever you need."

God loves you, and he loves me, and what this parable means is, regardless of what we are doing or actually where we are when it all happens, we should always be willing to help out, no matter the cost to us or what we had planned to do.

When I look back on what happened at school when Greg T and I had a huge falling out, I should have made a real effort to become friends. When you think of what Jesus would have done, it makes me wonder how many times, when we seem to have a falling out with friends, family, or really nobody in particular, do we make an effort to smooth things over?

Are we or will we be prepared to give and keep giving? I know Jesus did, and he lived his life in the very folds of his Heavenly Father, and what he was here on earth to do. We really should be prepared to be behind people and support them in every situation. This may be a very hard thing to do as we move through life, but considering what Jesus himself went through just for us, it well and truly puts everything into perspective.

Looking at life in all of its woes and struggles, it's so easy to say this and that and just preach at people, but life certainly isn't a bed of roses. It is hard, and it can be really hard, especially if someone really wants to stir things up and tries to make life as difficult as it can be for each of us. That has been a difficult, and I must say and real stumbling block for me personally.

All of our personalities are astoundingly different from each other, and I can fully understand where we can really get on each other's nerves, and when that happens, so often our muscles, like Greg T's that afternoon at school, can be let forth with a sort of explosion, and we let the person annoying us have it fair and square!

Been there and done that so very often before, mainly not with my fists or feet but with words and psycho sort of feelings to whack out and hurt people as quickly and horribly as I can. 

So really, when we have the Bible here with us, and we actually gain from the many parables/stories that Jesus told, we can learn so very much. It is astounding, really, just how much I have learned over the years. Does this stop me from getting annoyed and hurt with other people? No, but what it does do is to keep me coming back to Jesus, and how He lived here with us.

In the story above, I can fully appreciate the owner of the home where the guy was knocking on the door. Why run around when you know all he wanted was loaves of bread? Surely that can wait till morning, but at midnight! I don't think so. 

The point that Jesus made here was that, regardless of how we feel, regardless of the time of day, and regardless of anything else that comes between us, we should always be prepared to give, and keep giving.

Today, a young couple was pulled over in the supermarket car park. Why? Their car boot was filled with so many sealed boxes, and I hate to think what was inside them. Stolen, maybe? The young guy was on his knees with his hands on his head and being frisked by two burly policemen, and his girlfriend was also being escorted by another policeman over to the side of the road.

We all do things that confuse us, anger us, upset us, fill us with regret, have to live with remorse, self-reproach, sadness, and so much unhappiness, and so it goes on. The young couple above, who are very young, will have to live with this incident, whatever it is, for all of their lives. 

The whole world doesn't revolve around you and me personally. It is God's very creation, and Jesus came here to show us the eternity of life and what we have to do to gain eternal life. 

So what do we have to do to gain eternal life, and what is eternal life? Faith in Jesus Christ and trusting wholly in him regardless of what life throws at you, and of course, what he did for you on Calvary all those years ago, will gain your place in heaven, but what is eternal life?

Eternal life is just what it says. Eternity will be everlasting life with Jesus. There is no end to eternal life.

All we have to do is confess our sins before our God. Sinning is something that we all need to recognise, and we need to come before our Lord and God and confess those sins to Him and ask Him to lead our lives and take leadership of our lives in all situations.

Would you like to do that? Then ask God to take leadership of your life, make him first in your life in all situations.

Hope to see you next time. God's richest blessings to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Greg T and Me - Came to blows!

Oh, dear, the memories come back to me. Greg T and I were in Primary School together and usually in the same class. Things didn't work o...