Wednesday 2 November 2022

In The Eye of the Storm

Well, it's been quite a few years since updating my blog, and God has worked in my life in numerous ways since then.

I have surely missed my time here and I hope to be able to maybe spend more time getting back to drawing closer to God and maybe getting my experiences with Him down in my blog on a more regular basis than I have in these last few years (before going off to work that is).

My life changed quite a bit when my son-in-law was diagnosed with cancer and my daughter had to make a decision to become the wage earner of the family. 

It was very much like being in the Eye of the Storm - waiting for the inevitable - praying and hoping that things would work out for the good.

Through all of the unknown and in an amazing turnaround and through all of the turmoil, she went into her own business, and unbeknown to me I was suddenly caught up in the whirlpool of her business ventures hence the postponement of my blog each couple of weeks.

Isn't it amazing how God works! - who would have thought my 'very loved' son-in-law going through those horrendous times would have had such a marked effect on so many of our lives - his diagnosis was truly horrible and yet at the same time, such changes have marked such a turning point in so many of our lives.

When you consider what is happening in our topsy-turvy world, our problems sort of fade into insignificance yet God overall continues to work in countless people's lives - so praise to our wonderful King. Sometimes it takes a disaster on a scale we hadn't even thought possible to jolt us into a continuing walk with God - our Creator and wonderful Lord.

Continuing pain, ignorance, and obvious discomfort can really throw us off the mat so many times - we can be walking through life feeling so comfortable and everything seems so rosy in our gardens then WHAM! we are thrown into the deep end of life  - so you really never know when a curved ball is coming your way.

Talking personally, I can become so engrossed in my own life, my own self and unfortunately I can become quite selfish. Alarming really when it comes right down to it - isn't it?

So having a bit of a sit-down and taking life a tad more seriously, and really thinking about it, it is far more important, that no matter how difficult things in life can be, it is NEVER EVER an excuse for being disrespectful, or can I add presumptuous with God. 

I have probably been THE most presumptuous person that God has ever come into contact with - I have just presumed he will always forgive me whatever happens - so it is good to sit down just for a tad and rethink where I am and where we are with God right at this minute.


So where are you with God? Where am I?

Certainly, in my opinion, we can be frank with God and we can pour out our troubles our confusion, and our struggles in life to Him. 

But always keep in mind that God deserves our utmost reverence, always standing in awe of who He is and what He deserves of us.

In other words - quite frankly - with God, we need to remember our place!

God is our Father, our friend, and our Confidant, and our ever-companion, He is the source of all wisdom - so we need to get to know God for who He is, respect, and show our love to Him in many numerous ways.

The very highlight of God's wisdom was the very fact that He showed His great love to us in that He sent His only son Jesus into our mixed-up world. It is through Jesus that we can fully know God.

I reckon the way to negotiate our way through this funny old life is to get to know Jesus in a very personal and individual way.

When a disaster hits us, and it will, we can throw our hands up in the air and cry out "why is this happening to me?" Or we can take huge deep breaths, get a grip on life, start trusting God, and instead of blaming Him, realise that since this is happening, how can I use it to know Him better?

Through all of my own personal struggles, I have realised that life in general, no matter what it throws at you is all about staying close to God, and trusting Him even in the bad times and when disaster hits us.

I reckon that staying close to God is far more valuable than giving up or blaming Him.

With those thoughts firmly in our minds, it's with such sadness that I recall one of our clients who recently gave birth six weeks prematurely. The child has spent the last seven weeks in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, only being discharged just a few days ago.


Seriously cute, the baby seems to be thriving but Mum who has been through a horrible time is now suffering from Postnatal Depression - the whole situation is so sad.

All of us are so susceptible we are so open to the world's pressures, and we all can experience grief, intense sadness, and emptiness on more and more profound levels. We may begin to withdraw from any social activities and from the activities we normally participate in during our daily lives.

Sounds terrible, doesn't it. but in many ways being separate or on one's own for a while, in my opinion, can often help in times of intense stress.

Through all of this and I believe not just PND but all sorts of depressive illnesses God never ever lets you go if you have given your life to Him.

Getting professional help in times like this is very very necessary and certainly can bump us out of the deepest pit of depression and sadness. It may take quite some time but through sheer perseverance and hopefully, with the continued prayers, support, and love of family, friends, and other people, we can survive this. 

We don't need to suffer in silence, firstly we need to pray and keep on praying. Then we really do need help - talking to professional people or even our friends and relatives can often be of great assistance.

I guess the great news is that there are all sorts of medical and psychological help out there, It may not happen immediately but depression can be helped. Keep your eyes firmly on Jesus - he is the Author and finisher of our faith.

I am so reminded of this verse in Deuteronomy 31:8

"The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

Keep looking to Jesus, friends - May God go with you this week, and may His richest blessings be with you and yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Human love - super romantic and amazing!

Sometimes it is hard to give up on something you love - especially when that impinges on your family or your life in so many different ways ...